Sunday, November 6, 2016

When Good Service Dogs Go Bad

In order to be a service dog, you have to know how to behave really well in public places. At the very least, this involves knowing what NOT to do. No going potty on the floor, no barking at people or trying to bite them, no stealing treats off the shelves, no getting the zoomies. When I am out in public I just trot along with my mama. Sometimes on trips to the grocery store she lets me ride in the cart... she puts her sweatshirt on the seat first because some people are squeamish about a dog riding in a cart... because grocery stores can be really busy and I've come pretty close to getting run over by other people's carts when they weren't watching out for tiny service dogs.

Some service dogs are trained from birth and have to be really serious all the time. For instance, seeing eye dogs cannot mess around, even a little, even when they are tired, if they're supposed to be working. Mama trained me herself, though, and she gives me a little more leeway than some service dogs have. I am perfectly trained to help her, and I have great manners, and she doesn't mind if I do things like sniff the ground while I'm walking. But even though I am usually a great service dog, once in a while I can be a little naughty!

Today we were on our way to go to our aunt and uncle's house, and we were going to stop at the store to get some cottage cheese for our aunt. Mama looked for my service vest but couldn't find it. Then she remembered she left it over at our aunt and uncle's house!

Service dogs don't actually have to wear a service vest or have a badge or anything. But the last time Mama took me into Safeway when I didn't have my vest on, some guy was really mean to us and made Mama nervous. Now she doesn't even really like going into Safeway, but if she does, she wants me to have my vest so I look official. Since she couldn't find my vest with my patches that say I'm an important doggie, she decided to put my winter coat on me! It is red and furry. I've only worn it a few times, in the winter when it was really cold. When Mama put it on me, I looked at her like, "What is this all about? It isn't cold out at all!"

We went to Safeway, and went in, and this is when I realized that I didn't really want to wear my winter coat in the store when it isn't even winter. So I sat down and wouldn't walk. Mama picked me up because she didn't want me to get run over by the shopping carts that were headed right towards me. She carried me around in the store while she got the cottage cheese. Then when we got to the front of the store, Mama put me down and asked me to walk. I walked a few steps, changed my mind, and sat down. I planted my butt on the floor and stared at my mama.

Mama tugged on my leash to get me to come. I sucked my head in, and my collar came off!

Mama fixed my collar and then tried again to get me to come. I stared at her and said, NO!

A lady walked by and smiled at us. She said to Mama, "Look how your dog is staring at you! She just adores you! I love that!"

Mama said thank you, but I think she knew why I was really staring at her.

Finally Mama said, "What is the problem? Is it your coat?" She took my coat off and stuffed it in the pocket of her sweatshirt.

Relieved, I shook off happily. And for the rest of the time in the store, I was a perfect service dog, walking right along with my Mama with a happy smile on my face!

The moral of this story is, if you have a service dog and you want to go into the store but you forgot your dog's special vest at your aunt's house, don't try to trick your dog by putting a winter coat on her, because it won't work, and your dog will go on strike.

With love,
from Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment